English Tenses

A. PRESENT TENSE
1. SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE
a. Menyatakan kebiasaan
· He always works at night.
· We don’t attend class on Fridays.
· Do you smoke? No, I don’t.
· My mother goes to the market twice a week.
b. Menyatakan kebenaran umum
· A week has seven days.
· The earth moves round the sun.
· The sun sets in the west.
· Water boils at 100 degrees centigrade.
c. Untuk kata-kata tertentu: want, like, love, believe, remember, hate, dislike, forget, belong, mind, seem, etc.
· I remember now. (Not : I am remembering now).
· He wants a cup of coffee. (Not : He is wanting ...)
· This book belongs to me. (Not : It is belonging ...)
Keterangan waktunya:
° Every morning/day/week/month/year.
° (once, twice, three times) a day/week/month/year.
° Always, sometimes, often, usually, occasionally, generally, on Sundays, etc.
2. PRESENT CONTINUOUS TENSE
a. Menyatakan peristiwa yang sedang berlangsung pada saat ini.
· Ali is listening to the radio now.
· Look! Someone is climbing a tree.
· They are still playing at this moment.
· What are you doing? What are you talking about
· Are you not doing anything toninght?
b. Menyatakan kebiasaan yang dewasa ini berlangsung.
· She is teaching Japanese this year.
· We are studying computer this semester.
c. Menyatakan peristiwa yang akan segera terjadi atau sudah direncanakan.
· We are going to Jakarta tomorrow.
· I am going to the theatre tonight.
Keterangan waktunya :
At present, at this moment, this morning, this afternoon, this evening, today, tonight, now, right now, soon.
3. PRESENT PERFECT TENSE
a. Menyatakan kesempurnaan suatu pekerjaan di waktu sekarang (artinya sudah/telah...).
· I have done my homework.
· He has just gone out.
· Have you had breakfast yet?
· The postman has not come yet.
· I haven’t seen him since November.
· She has worn glasses for 3 years.
· Has he been here lately/recently?
· He has been a policeman since 1999.
* Keterangan waktunya:
Since, for ...., just (baru saja), ever, never, lately, recently, as yet (hingga kini), so far (sejauh ini), up to present (hingga kini), this week/month/year, several times.
4. PRESENT PERFECT CONTINUOUS TENSE
a. Menyatakan kesempurnaan suatu pekerjaan yang sampai sekarang masih berlangsung.
· I have been waiting for him for an hour, and he still hasn’t come.
· It has been raining since nine o’clock.
· Mr. Jones ha been listening to the radio for an hour.
· How long have you been learning English?
· I have been thinking it over.
· I have been working all the day.
* Keterangan waktunya:
Since, for ...., the whole day, all the morning, all the day.
B. PAST TENSE
1. SIMPLE PAST TENSE
a. Menyatakan aktifitas yang terjadi di waktu yang lampau.
· I met him yesterday.
· He was born in Jakarta twenty years ago.
· How did you get your present job?
· The second world war lasted from 1939 to 1945.
· Did you not work last night? Or: Didn’t you work last night?
b. Digunakan dalam present conditional sentence (kalimat pengandaian type-2).
· I would come if he invited me. (but he doesn’t invite me, so I don’t come).
· If she studied hard, she would pass the exam. (but she doesn’t study hard, so she doesn’t pass the exam).
c. Digunakan dalam present subjunctive (pengandaian).
· I wish he didn’t come late today (but he comes late).
· He speaks as if he were a president. (but he is not a president).
* Keterangan waktunya:
Yesterday, the day before yesterday, last night/week/month/year, in 1960, just now, this morning, this afternoon.
2. PAST CONTINUOUS TENSE
a. Menyatakan pekerjaan yang sedang berlangsung di waktu yang lampau ketika peristiwa lain terjadi.
· When I was walking to school, I met Ahmad.
· As we were having breakfast, the telephone rang.
· While they were playing ini the yard, the accident happened.
· While mother was cooking ini the kitchen, we were watching television.
· When I arrived last night, Tom was telling on the phone.
· What were you doing before you came here?
3. PAST PERFECT TENSE
a. Menyatakan kesempurnaan suatu pekerjaan di waktu lampau.
· The thief had escaped when the police came last night.
· They went home after they had finished their work.
· The sun had set before I was ready to go.
· The family had waited for an hour when the doctor came.
· Ann had just left when I arrived home.
· He had been a soldier for 20 years, and planned to stay in the army till he was 40.
· Before we had finished our meal, the boss ordered us back to work.
· He had left case on the bus.
b. Digunakan dalam past conditional (type-3).
· If I had known you were ill, I would have visited you. (but I didn’t know you are ill).
· I would have come if she had invited me. (but she didn’t invite me).
c. Digunakan dalam past subjunctive.
· I wish he had not come late. (but he came late).
· He believed as if he had been the boss. (but he wasn’t the boss).
4. PAST PERFECT CONTINUOUS TENSE
a. Menyatakan kesempurnaan suatu pekerjaan di waktu yang lampau dan masih sedang terjadi pada waktu tertentu di masa lalu.
· John had been working three for five years when the world war II ended.
· We had been talking for about half an hour before the telephone rang.
· It was 06.00 p.m. and he was tired because he had been working since dawn.
· I had been waiting for ten minutes when the police came.
C. FUTURE TENSE
1. SIMPLE FUTURE TENSE
a. Menyatakan peristiwa /keadaan yang akan terjadi di waktu yang akan datang.
· The examination will start next week.
· I will come back the day after tomorrow.
· He will be twenty-five next month.
· Tomorrow the sun will rise at 5.45 a.m.
b. Menyatakan pendapat tentang keadaan yang akan terjadi.
· (I’m sure) he will pass the exam.
· Perhaps she will win the game.
· They will (probably) go tomorrow.
c. Menyatakan maksud/kehendak.
· I will study hard.
· I shan’t (shall not) see her again.
d. Digunakan dalam conditional type-1
· If you lazy, you won’t (will not) pass the exam.
· If you drop this glass, it will break.
v [ be going to + verb-1 ] digunakan untuk near future, dengan keterangan waktu seperti: soon, right away, in just a minute.
· We are going to have a test next week.
= We will have a test next week.
· I am going to do my homework soon.
= I will do my homework soon.
2. FUTURE CONTINUOUS TENSE
a. Menyatakan aktifitas yang akan sedang terjadi di waktu yang akan datang.
· When you arrive tomorrow morning, I will probably be picking fruit.
· When you visit me at six o’clock tonight, I will be watching TV.
· This time next week, I will be learning computer.
· In a few days time, we will be sailing on the Atlantic ocean.
· It’s a serious injury, but he will be walking again in six weeks.
3. FUTURE PERFECT TENSE
a. Menyatakan aktifitas yang akan telah terjadi di waktu yang akan datang.
· By the end of this week, I will have finished reading this book.
· I will have finished this job in twenty minutes.
· The train will have left before we reach the station.
· When you come back this afternoon, I will have finished all the house work.
· On the first of next month, he will have been in prison for five years.
· The driver will have gone 500 miles by the time he stops.
· The team will have received a prize when they go home.
4. FUTURE PERFECT CONTINUOUS TENSE
a. Menyatakan peristiwa yang akan telah terjadi pada waktu tertentu di masa mendatang dan masih sedang berlangsung pada waktu tersebut.
· By next month, I will have been studying English for five years.
· By the end of this year, we will have been living here for three years.
D. PAST FUTURE TENSE
1. PAST FUTURE TENSE
a. Perbuatan yang akan dilakukan pada waktu lampau.
· I would used to travel to Jakarta, but my mother forbided me.
b. Permohonan yang sopan.
· Would you like to dance with me?
c. Perbuatan yang akan dilakukan bila syaratnya dipenuhi pada waktu lampau (conditional type 2).
· I would go to your party, if it didn't rain.
2. PAST FUTURE CONTINUOUS TENSE
a. merepresentasikan perbuatan yang akan sedang terjadi pada waktu lampau.
· I should be taking an examination at this time the following day.
3. PAST FUTURE PERFECT TENSE
a. merepresentasikan perbuatan yang akan sudah selesai pada waktu lampau. Tetapi lebih umum digunakan untuk mengandaikan suatu kejadian yang terjadi pada waktu lampau(conditional type 3).
· She would have passed the exam, if she had studied hard
4. PAST FUTURE PERFECT CONTINUOUS TENSE
a. tense ini hampir sama dengan future perfect continuous tense, hanya saja yang membedakan tipe ini berbentuk past (lampau).
By last month, I Should have been working at that office for 6 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages